12 Reasons Why Homeowners in Mass Should Be Concerned about Mold
- Date: 10-2019
Providing mold remediation services in Central Mass for the past several years, we are often asked why mold remediation is quite important.
Since 2015, we’re committing much of our blogging efforts to discuss mold. And in this blog, we’ll discuss the twelve reasons why homeowners of Central Mass need to be aware of mold and why they should consider mold remediation experts.
But before we jump into these reasons, it’s important to know and understand exactly what mold is and how it gets into the home.
Molds are microscopic fungi that are present virtually everywhere, indoors and outdoors. Mold grows in a natural environment, on any organic surface and needs four things to stay alive and thrive:
- Temperature of 41 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
It can feed on a variety of materials such as wallpaper, carpet, leather, wood, or surfaces coated with biological matter like food, grease and soil. It can ruin just about anything it gets its spores in.
It can get into the home:
Through the air: They can enter your home through windows, vents, open doors, and heating and air conditioning systems.
Attaching to objects or people: Airborne mold can be conveniently carried indoors by piggybacking on shoes, clothes, bags, and pets. They can flourish anywhere that provides sufficient moisture, nutrients and humidity.
Humidity as Cause of Mold
If the weather has been very humid for a few days in a row, you might observe mold starting to grow in your home. When it rains for several days, it’s mostly common to see mold starting to grow on benches, walls and other surfaces due to the wet air. When moisture inside home evaporates into the air, it increases the humidity indoors. If your home isn’t well ventilated, then the humidity will stay high for a long time.
If humidity isn’t controlled, and mold are present, they produce spores which often become airborne. Airborne can elicit allergic responses and chemical exposure that leads to mold toxicity and can be linked to health problems. Mold can be hazardous!
Mold are associated with some untoward health effects in humans, so negligence is not acceptable. Mold experts of Green Home Solutions of Central Massachusetts believe that understanding what mold is, what causes it, how to prevent it and how to address it can help homeowners ensure that their home’s environment is safe. After all, prevention and early detection are the best ways to fight back against evil mold.
Why Is Mold a Concern for Homeowners in Massachusetts
1. Mold reduces the property value of your home. Mold is a serious issue. It is like a parasite or cancer that continues to grow as long as there is a food source, moisture and the right temperature. Failing to fix the underlying causes of mold and effectively removing the mold will lead to reduced property values caused by structural damage as the mold continues to feed on the home.
2. Your home is an “all you can eat buffet” for mold. Once the mold begins to grow indoors, the spore count increases and causes health problems. Majority of homes in Massachusetts are made out of the material that mold love to eat – materials such as cement; plaster drywalls, ceiling tiles, wood, cardboard and wallpaper, insulation materials, carpet, upholstery, fabric and leather, and grout.
3. You don’t realize mold is present until the musty odors bother you. Mold is often hidden and can be detected through smell and visual clues such as discolorations. One of the initial signs is the mildew or musty odor. The next step is to determine where the smell is coming from. The five areas of the home that you will likely find mold includes: crawl space, attic, basement, bathroom, or kitchens that have water leaks. Read more about natural odor elimination.
4. Mold causes asthma. Three specific species of mold naming Aspergillus ochraceus, Aspergillus unguis and Penicillium variabile were more common in the homes of infants who later developed asthma. Genes are known to play a role and so does the home environment. Asthma is often associated with allergies, and mold spread by releasing tiny spores into the air which can cause allergic reactions.
5. Mold cause you health issues that your doctor may not be aware you are sick due to mold. “Possibly every doctor in the United States is treating mold illness, and they just don’t realize it.” -said by Dr. Scott McMahon, MD.
Since most of the physicians are not trained to treat and identify mold illnesses, their patients continue to suffer in silence, misdiagnosis and a vicious cycle of numerous visits to specialists that don’t recognize why they are sick. The fact is, mold is an epidemic because it makes people sick and they are not aware that mold is the reason.
6. Your genetics could make you more prone to mold ailments. Dr. Richie Shoemaker, physician and expert in the field of biotoxin-related illness and author of the book “Surviving Mold” said “1 in 4 people have a genetic pre-disposition to the mold illness, Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndromes (CIRS)”.
Genes made them prime targets for an assault by their own innate immune systems…exposure to the interior environment of a Water-Damaged Building (WDB), [causes] an innate immune response that is going haywire.
7. Mold can cause chronic sinusitis. According to Doctors at the Mayo Clinic, David Sherris, Eugene Kern, and Jens Ponikau, chronic sinusitis is caused by a fungus and is an immune reaction:
“Medications haven’t worked for chronic sinusitis because we didn’t know what the cause of the problem was. Fungus allergy was thought to be involved in less than ten percent of cases. Our studies indicate that, in fact, fungus is likely the cause of nearly all of these problems. And it is not an allergic reaction, but an immune reaction. This is a potential breakthrough that offers great hope for the millions of people who suffer from this problem. We can now begin to treat the cause of the problem instead of the symptoms. Finally, we are on the trail of a treatment that may actually work.”
8. Mold loves the moisture in your home. Mold doesn’t need a lot of water to grow. Moisture is an important factor influencing mold growth indoors. A little condensation in the bathroom or around a window sill can be enough. Common sites for indoor growth include bathroom tile and grout, basement walls, areas around windows, around sinks, and near leak water fountains. The common sources of water or moisture are roof leaks, humidification system, floods, sprinkle systems, and slow leaks in plumbing fixtures.
9. Modern day home building promotes mold growth. Homes today are built to be energy efficient and tightly closed. This means ventilation is an afterthought, which leads to high humidity, moisture issues, and mold.
10. Neglecting the mold is allowing them to spread throughout your home. Not only are you and everyone else in your home breathing those toxic mold spores into your airways and lungs – you’re also giving the mold plenty of time to spread throughout the home and strengthen its foothold.
11. A serious mold problem can create a stigma around your property. That stigma will stay there as long as the property exists. Obviously, this is never the ideal situation for the homeowner even if you don’t plan to sell your home in the near future.
12. You won’t be able to cover up a problem. Have you noticed that the paint is bubbling on the walls near the windows or your bathroom? One of the most common reasons why the paint starts to bubble is moisture. When there is moisture, there is probably mold. You won’t be able to cover up the problem with paint. You have to find the source of the moisture. It can be leaky plumbing or windowsill or too much humidity.
The Best Action to Take Right Now
If you don’t think you have a mold problem, or aren’t sure, there are two main things you can do.
- Learn about the effective mold prevention strategies and apply them into your home.
- Call Green Home Solutions mold experts to perform a reliable scientific mold test for toxic mold spores on your property, and for mold remediation services.
Our mold remediation services provide fast, effective and affordable solutions. We attack the source of mold to eradicate the source at the molecular level. Our process is comprehensive and effective.
Green Home Solutions makes air better and guarantees that your real estate value and family’s health is not compromised.