Mold Removal Services provided by Green Home Solutions of Central Massachusetts

What To Do If Your House Has Mold

  • Date: 04-2019

You walk into the basement only to become overwhelmed by strong, moldy and unpleasant odor, a musty scent similar to what you would smell after opening an old book. Your house has mold, one of the homeowners’ worst nightmares.

The Cause of the Mold Smell

The cause of that mold smell is the microbial volatile organic compounds, the substances that are naturally produced by molds as they grow. Exposure to some microbial volatile organic compounds has been associated to symptoms such as nasal irritation, dizziness, headaches, fatigue and nausea.

Here are some of the places in your house where mold spores can thrive and the things you need to do.

1. A nasty smell coming from your air conditioner or heating system. Standalone air conditioning units are damp, dark and frequently exposed to warm temperatures when not in use. They are most susceptible for mold growth. Placing them in a heated basement or closed during winter also increases the likelihood of mold developing.

What to do: Prevent mold by running your air conditioner every day, even if it is just for 10 minutes. If you know your AC has mold, hire a professional AC cleaner to carefully clean the interior.

2. Brown, green, orange or white spots in the attic that are often musty and can take on the scent of the urine. Attic mold is dark gray or black is typically toxic, feisty and spreads fast and generally forms a near perfect circle or crescent moon shape.

What to do: Check your attic occasionally for mold, and make sure there are air vents to support circulation to the area. If there are any roof leaks, repair them immediately. Have your roof inspected regularly to catch any leaks before they cause a serious problem and especially after a heavy rainstorm or other harsh weather.

3. Peeling wallpaper can signal that you have a mold problem – If the wallpaper is older or has peeling edges, it is possible that mold has begun spreading where you can’t see.

What to do: It is best to just get the wallpaper removed and replaced. If you suspect that there is a great deal of mold behind wallpaper, don’t remove it yourself. Hire trained mold remediation professionals to get rid of it and disinfect the area. Only mold professionals will know how to prevent huge amounts of spores from launching into the air when paper is removed. If you want to have ornamental wallpaper on your walls, treat the surface-first with a mold-resistant primer. Use a high-quality paste to adhere the wallpaper and make sure to remove all the air bubbles behind it. Never use wallpapers in bathrooms and basements.

4. Dark spots on the walls and corners in the fireplace and chimney – Chimneys are very vulnerable to moisture. There are three most common reasons that water gets into a chimney system – poor ventilation, inadequate waterproofing or a broken chimney crown and a leaky chimney cap or chase top. Any of these issues can lead to mold growth.

What to do: To prevent mold growth in your chimney, the initial thing to do is to make sure that the top is covered appropriately. It is also advised to call professional chimney cleaner to remove mold and keep your chimney puffing along at its best.

5. Carpets that smell odd or seems damp – Dirt encourages mold growth. If you have pets that occasionally have accidents on the carpet, this can increase the potential for mold spores to grow there. If the mold growth reaches an advanced stage, you can see discolored patches such as white, black or various shades of green. The color patches are cause by mold multiplying on your carpet.

What to do: The simplest way to prevent the mold growth on carpet or padding, regardless of moisture level is – to keep the carpet clean. Vacuuming at least once per week and having your carpets cleaned periodically, you can easily prevent spores from growing in your carpet.

6. Higher incidents of allergies and illness – If family members suffer from several health problems and neurological symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, breathing troubles, allergies, asthma and bronchitis, mold can be the culprit.  Runny nose and sneezing fits can actually be a sneaky sign of mold problem.

What to do: Aside from following the tips mentioned above, you can prevent mold on your property bydecreasing the indoor moisture or humidity, and using air conditioning with HEPA filter. The HEPA filter will be able to trap all floating mold spores while the traditional air cleaners will solitary reach a specific area. On the other hand, be careful to keep it away from heat, ozone or electrostatic-related appliances.

If you find mold in your home or building in Central Massachusetts, it is important to call Green Home Solutions immediately. We use all-natural approaches that don’t just protect the environment but are also a lot gentler on your property and on your health and your finances.  We use only EPA registered products that are perfectly safe for every member of your family including your pets. We eradicate all traces of mold.