Mold Remediation in New River Valley: What’s the Difference Between Mold and Mildew?
Mildew and mold are often confused for each other, especially within the home. It makes sense. They’re both types of fungi, and they share plenty of characteristics. So you may be wondering: what’s the difference between mold and mildew? And do you need mold remediation in New River Valley for both issues?
At Green Home Solutions, we treat both mold and mildew in the home. Both can be a problem, especially for families who spend time indoors. Let’s review some of the key similarities and distinctions between these two household issues.
Mold Versus Mildew: 4 Key Distinctions
Mold and mildew both thrive in warm, damp areas of the home, making it difficult for the untrained eye to spot the difference. But they each have a unique behavior, appearance, and impact. Here are four key distinctions:
- Appearance. Mildew is typically grey or white when it first crops up, although it may darken over time. It has a downy or powdery appearance. Mold, on the other hand, comes in many colors, most often green, black, or yellow, with a slimy or fuzzy texture.
- Characteristics. Mildew is flat-growing, without pushing below surfaces. It’s commonly found on already-wet surfaces like cloth or paper. Mold will grow in every direction, using hyphae to burrow into porous surfaces. It can cause serious damage to structures.
- Health effects. Both mold and mildew can cause health aggravations, but mold can have more serious repercussions. Mildew is linked with headaches and congestion, while mold can result in long-term respiratory complications and other concerns.
- Effort to clean. While it’s always a good idea to check with the professionals, mildew is surface-based and therefore easier to clean with household products. Because mold is so pervasive and invasive, professional mold removal can be necessary for effective long-term results.
If you’re concerned about either mold or mildew, your Green Home Solutions representative can advise you on the right course of action. We can also conduct an air quality consultation to assess if mold remediation in New River Valley is needed.
Find Out If You Need Mold Remediation in New River Valley
Whether you’re dealing with a longstanding mildew issue or you’re concerned about mold, Green Home Solutions can clean up any active growth. For families in New River Valley, we offer a wide range of services to get to the source of mold or mildew growth:
- A free initial air quality consultation.
- Comprehensive mold testing and inspection.
- Precise mold remediation within days.
At Green Home Solutions in New River Valley, we provide mold remediation that improves the health of your home. If you have questions about mold or mildew, you can call us at (540) 339-3212.