Another Transplant Patient’s Death from Mold in UPMC Hospital Makes the News

  • Date: 10-2016
  • Tags:

The fourth lawsuit was filed in the deaths of patients from mold exposure. Two of the cases have settled already for 1.3 million each. Another case is pending in addition to this new case.

You may need a brief history. It was back in September of 2015 that the entire UPMC Transplant Program was shut down as mold was discovered in a specialized area of the hospital for transplant patients and, the mold was, more importantly inside of the patients.

This is a world renowned program with reportedly a waiting list of over 1,000 patients. This was a BIG deal. A “life and death” deal.

That background makes the story you read and hear in the news both interesting and scary. It is not the REAL story here. The real story is that transplant patients are at a very high risk of serious infection particularly for 6 months after receiving the transplant.

IT IS AMAZING THAT PATIENTS BEING DISCHARGED FROM THE HOSPITAL ARE NOT USUALLY TOLD TO GET THEIR HOMES CHECKED FOR MOLD AND IF NEEDED TREATED FOR MOLD BEFORE THEY COME HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL.

 

If mold exposure can be a cause of death in a hospital, it can be a cause of death anywhere a patient may go.

 

If you have someone you care about with the modern day miracle of an organ transplant, have the home or other place they spent time checked to assure the mold level is safe in the area.

 

This story goes beyond organ transplant patients. Those patients on chemotherapy, auto-immune disease, elderly, very young, and many other at risk patients can become seriously ill as a result of mold exposure.

 

For a full article with more information on organ transplant and other immunosuppressed patients and mold exposure go to: https://goo.gl/RKnhZh