Common Mold Misconceptions

  • Date: 05-2017

When it comes to mold, there’s a lot of information out there, but that doesn’t mean that it is all accurate! From methods of cleaning mold to which types of mold are hazardous to your health, misconceptions are everywhere. At Green Home Solutions, we believe in providing accurate assessments of all mold situations found in homes, and that starts with providing honest information on what can and cannot be done to solve the problem for good.

If you find yourself skimming through the internet looking for information after discovering mold growth in your home, keep an eye out for these common mold misconceptions:

  • Mold is Only Found in Water-Damaged HomesWhile it’s true that mold frequently forms in areas that have issues with water seepage or flooding, that’s not the whole picture. Molds and mildews are always present both indoors and outdoors. When mold spores land on a surface that contains any amount of moisture, it can begin to grow. So regardless of whether or not you’ve had recent water damage to your home, all homes have the potential to wind up with a mold problem.
  • It’s Not Dangerous Mold if it isn’t BlackWhile black mold does have a dark appearance, it’s not the only type of mold that can cause health issues for people. You can’t rely on the color of mold to determine its level of toxicity, and some hazardous molds come in colors such as brown, green, yellow, or white. When it comes down to it, a significant colony of any mold type can release enough spores into the air to affect those with allergies, asthma, and other conditions, so it’s important to address any type of mold growth in a timely manner.
  • Black Mold is ?Toxic? to Humans

Calling black mold toxic implies that it is somehow poisonous to those who come into contact with it. In reality, there is no toxic mold although molds can be toxigenic. If a toxigenic mold is growing and releasing spore into the air, it can create unhealthy air quality conditions that affect members of the household. Black mold, also known as Stachybotrys, is one of the most well-known toxigenic molds associated with health issues.

  • Mold Can be Treated with DIY Methods

There’s a lot of DIY advice out there from unreliable sources that tell homeowners that treating mold with bleach is enough to fix the problem. Although it is true that bleach can be an effective surface cleaner, mold often colonizes within porous materials that cannot be treated with this DIY method. For remediation that eliminates the issue for good, a professional team of mold technicians should be contacted to evaluate the extent of the problem.

While there’s no question that mold can be a nightmare for homeowners, it’s not a problem that has to result in an empty pocketbook and damaged home! At Green Home Solutions, we provide fast, highly-effective mold treatments that are all-natural and require no demolition of your property. Best of all, our services are guaranteed!

Don’t rely on random information from the internet to treat your mold issues just give our experts a call or fill out our online form today, and we’ll come out to your home for a free audit and cost estimate.