Keeping Your Family Safe
- Date: 06-2017
Protecting the health and wellbeing of your children is something that all parents are concerned with, and dangers can be located anywhere?even in the safety of your family’s residence. Indoor air quality is an important factor for the health of anyone, especially young children, and mold growth in your home can lead to a number of health issues that no one should have to deal with. Whether you live in a damp, humid climate or flooding and water damage have resulted in a moldy basement, it’s important to know the signs of mold-related health problems and understand the steps you can take to protect your family in the long-term.
Why is Mold a Problem for Children?
Everyone knows that toxic molds, such as black mold, are something to watch out for, but any form of mold should be handled to prevent it from turning your home into an unhealthy environment. Even the cleanest homes can struggle with mold issues with the right environmental circumstances, and these colonies release spores into the air that can affect children and those with a sensitivity to mold. Common signs that you may see if mold is affecting your home include:
- Upper respiratory congestion and frequent infections
- Cough, sore throat, and chest tightness
- Exacerbated asthma symptoms
- Skin and eye irritations, including rashes
If you or your kids are experiencing these symptoms regularly, it’s time to take some steps to help prevent mold from becoming a much bigger health problem. .
Tips for Household Mold Prevention
If you live in an area that is prone to heavy rains, humidity, or flooding, moisture control in your home is one of the most important ways to get a step ahead of mold growth. At Green Home Solutions, we recommend the following tips for keeping your home as dry and mold-free as possible:
- Set Up Dehumidifiers: Mold grows in damp areas, and taking down the humidity in your home is a solid first step in taking away the environment it needs to thrive. The CDC recommends keeping your humidity levels lower than 50% for optimal protection.
- Check Your Ventilation: Ventilation and air movement in your home is important for preventing mold growth. Check your bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans, as well as your dryer vent, to ensure that they are property vented
- Fix All Leaks: If your home is constantly damp, it’s time to look at where that water is coming from. Examine your roof for any weak spots or leaks, and keep an eye on your plumbing to make sure a faulty system isn’t contributing to the problem.
- Clean-Up Water Damage: Flooding and plumbing accidents can happen in any home, and it’s essential they are dealt with quickly and appropriately. Remove or replace all carpeting that has been soaked from a flood, and attempt to dry out your home completely within 24-48 hours of the event.
So, You?ve Found Mold Growth? Now What?
Prevention is key to keeping mold at bay, but if you already know that it’s growing somewhere in your home, it needs to be handled quickly. At Green Home Solutions, we understand that protecting your children from the harmful effects of mold isn’t something to be taken lightly, and we have the expert services you need to improve the air quality and safety of your home. From highly effective moisture control applications to our innovative mold remediation methods, we have the skills and experience you can count on to get the job done right?at an affordable price.
Take the first step towards improving the health of your loved ones today by contacting the team at Green Home Solutions to learn more about how we can effectively treat and remove any size mold concern. Just give us a call or fill out our online form, and we’ll get you set up with a home assessment.