It’s a new year and we’ve wrangled up our top tips to keep your home mold free in 2020!
- Monitor your indoor humidity levels with a thermometer / hygrometer. If your HVAC system can’t keep up, consider adding a dehumidifier.
- Check your HVAC supply vents regularly for moisture build up when the cooling system is operating.
- Use exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathrooms. Usually, 20 minutes of runtime is the general standard after a shower.
- Regularly wipe down and clean your tub and shower curtains.
- Remove clothes from the washing machine and dry them quickly before mold has a chance to grow.
- If you keep house plants, check them often for signs of mold growth.
- Ensure there are no leaks and that your windows & doors are properly sealed.
- If you have sliding doors, ensure a proper seal and keep the tracks clean and dry.
- Keep your crawl space well ventilated. When living in a humid climate with a crawl space containing HVAC ducts, a dehumidifier may be needed.
- Keep your storage boxes a few inches off the ground. Replace cardboard boxes with plastic storage totes.
- Keep your carpets vacuumed and dry.
- If your home has gutters, clean them regularly so that water is not trapped around the roofline or allow runoff to the foundation below.
Suspect a mold issue in your home or business? We can help!