Signs of Black Mold and How Mold Affects Us
What is black mold? What are the signs of black mold? What should you do if you suspect there is black mold in your home or office? These are common questions we answer at Green Home Solutions.
What is Black Mold?
Let’s start by defining black mold. Many common molds are black in color. However, most often the term “toxic black mold” refers to Stachybotrys chartarum. It can grow on porous material, such as fiberboard, drywall, paper, dust, ceiling tiles, wood, and lint. Growth occurs when there is long-term moisture from water damage, excessive humidity, water leaks, condensation, water infiltration, or flooding. Various types of black mold have the potential to cause health issues as well as damage to your home.
What are the Signs of Black Mold?
The signs of black mold can show up in several ways in any indoor space. Don’t ignore the signs! Although mold is a kind of fungi that exists everywhere in the natural world, and not all black molds are toxic, you must do something about it because it never goes away on its own.
Once you suspect signs of black mold, it’s likely that it has started to spread. The spores can contaminate the air with mycotoxins, and ingestion may be detrimental to your well-being. People with pre-existing health challenges, such as asthma and allergies, may be more susceptible to mold exposure. If you suffer from any of the following conditions or symptoms, the possibility exists that it may be partially caused by or aggravated by the presence of indoor mold:
- Skin rash
- Eye irritation
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Itchy or watery eyes
- Shortness of Breath
Mold can also substantially reduce property value. You can’t just scrub it away. The mold spores must be treated at the source.