Indoor Air Quality in Leominster: What are Common Indoor Pollutants?
How does indoor air get polluted or unclean? The truth is, no matter how clean you keep your home, contaminants are constantly entering your space. Poor indoor air quality happens when there are too many contaminants. At Green Home Solutions in Leominster, we can help you understand what’s in the air in your home and how it got there.
Let’s start with reviewing the top culprits for indoor pollutants.
Indoor air pollutants come from all different places. When looking at their sources, it’s important to evaluate how many contaminants they’re releasing, how dangerous these particles are, and how frequently it’s happening.
For homeowners in Leominster, here are six common causes of poor indoor air quality:
- Cooking. Frying, boiling, and other stovetop functions produce high amounts of particulate matter and humidity. Gas stoves release additional, ultra-fine particles and gasses into your home’s air.
- Moisture. Moisture and humidity go hand-in-hand and are two common causes of pollutants. In addition to releasing water vapor, high levels of moisture allow dust mites, mildew, and mold to flourish.
- Mold. Mold is highly versatile, growing on surfaces and even in the air. Mold spores can travel through the air but cannot grow in the air. Wherever it grows, mold releases tiny spores into the air, each ranging from 1 to 40 microns. (For reference, a single strand of hair is 70 microns.)
- VOCs. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) can be found in thousands of household products, from candles to paint, carpeting, cosmetics, spray foam insulation and more. In fact, homes often have ten times more VOCs than outdoor environments.
- Pets. Our furry friends, like cats, dogs, and other household mammals, release all kinds of minuscule contaminants every day. These can range from odors to pet fur, dander, and other allergens. Because of the size and composition of these particles, they stay in the air longer.
- Outside pollutants. While outdoor air can replenish your home, not all outdoor air is created equally. If you have a car or lawn mower running in the adjoining garage, these emissions will enter your home. Outdoor pollution and pesticides can, too.
With the right strategies, indoor pollutants can be reduced, quickly cycled out, or removed altogether. Our indoor air quality experts in Leominster can help by:
- Evaluating indoor air to identify contaminants
- Removing pollutant sources like mold and odors
- Offering crawl space encapsulation to reduce deadly radon gas, reduce humidity and keep contaminants from entering your living space.
Improve and replenish your home’s indoor air quality with Green Home Solutions! Homeowners in Leominster can contact us at (978) 728-3441 to learn more.