Indoor Air Quality Testing in East Lyme: How Air Quality Affects Your Health
Most of us understand the dangers of pollution—but few people realize that our main exposure to pollution isn’t outdoors, but inside. At Green Home Solutions, we don’t just offer indoor air quality testing and treatments. We help homeowners in East Lyme approach indoor air quality issues with confidence.
People think of pollution as being caused by factories, cars, or wildfires. While that’s true, it’s also caused by common household sources, including cooking smoke, mold, pets, and humidity.
On average, we spend 90% of our time indoors—and only 10% outdoors. That’s why it’s so important to understand the health impact of polluted indoor air.
Polluted air affects our health in countless ways. While some pollutants have been heavily studied, like asbestos or mold, others are more unknown. To complicate things, age, health, and medical conditions can cause a huge variance in these side effects.
With that in mind, here’s a quick primer on the health impact of poor indoor air:
- Short-term effects. Poor air quality contributes to fatigue, dizziness, headaches, and irritation of the eyes, nose, or throat. It can also impair learning and productivity and create discomfort.
These side effects may occur after encountering poor air quality once, or after repeated exposure. If symptoms fade when a person leaves your space, that’s often a sign that air quality is the culprit.
- Long-term complications. When a person spends long periods within a polluted indoor environment, long-term effects can develop. Many of these complications are respiratory, such as severe pneumonia, or cardiovascular, such as strokes or heart disease. Poor air quality is also linked to incidences of cancer and death.
While we understand that poor air quality can cause these complications, there’s still a lot of uncertainty about how much exposure can be a problem.
- Air quality as a contributing factor. When indoor air is poorly ventilated, it’s easier for bacteria, viruses, and other contaminants to linger. If someone has the flu or a viral infection in a space with poor air quality, it’s more likely that the people around them will get unwell, too.
For those with health complications, including asthma, poor air quality can activate these issues more frequently.
Being proactive about your home’s air quality is always worthwhile. At Green Home Solutions in East Lyme, we can help:
- We offer highly detailed indoor air quality testing.
- We can locate and remediate mold and moisture problems.
- We offer affordable, powerfully impactful treatments.
Get expert indoor air quality testing from Green Home Solutions. Homeowners in East Lyme can call (860) 235-5371 to get started.